Powered by Blogger.

Wishlist: Caran D'Ache Watercolor Crayons



Happy Thursday, artists!

I thought I'd finish off the week with my second sketchbook tour! I am slowly trying to rekindle the fire of my art Youtube channel. I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed filming and editing my art process! Check out my latest upload at MaraMedium, Sketchbook Tour (July 2016 - March 2017). Today I wanted to talk about an art supply item that I am drooling over and is definitely on my Wishlist. Keep reading for more!




When I first started this blog, I posted my Wishlist of art supplies and items that I'd enjoy owning. For my anniversary last year, my fiancé surprised me with just about everything on that list so there was no need to keep it around. After browsing my favorite artTuber's channel, KiarasStudios I was always drawn back to the portrait paintings she had done using the Caran D'Ache watercolor crayons. I really want to give them a try in regards to painting seamless skin tones! I recently did an art piece for a contest and the subject matter included a figure with skin tones needed. The most challenging aspect of doing this painting (which I'd never done anything like it before), was getting the shadows and highlights of the skin in place before the paint dried down. I used a mixture of Holbein Artist's Gouache and Apple Barrel Acrylic paints. It was so frustrating to work with the paints as I'd have one area smoothed out, but needed another to match..it was a constant process of reworking the same areas over and over. Nevertheless, the painting did come out the way I'd hoped and I enjoyed doing it for the most part.

I think I would enjoy the versatility of the Caran D'Ache watercolor crayons since they can be used with basic painting techniques like wet-on-wet, dry-on-wet, dry-on-dry etc. I've never used clear or white gesso before and I'm willing to experiment with it as well! The two seem to go well together on most all of the speed painting videos I've seen. Lastly, there is virtually no cleanup for this type of paint. I am in love already (as you can see, the paint palette above was definitely not cleaned and still isn't)

Check out Kiara's speed painting video using these awesome crayons!


No comments